Modify

Opened 7 years ago

Last modified 4 years ago

#7903 new defect

ZTE MF112 USB Mobile Broadband does not work with latest trunk.

Reported by: Jon.Scruggs@… Owned by: developers
Priority: normal Milestone: Barrier Breaker 14.07
Component: packages Version: Trunk
Keywords: Cc:

Description

This is a new modem I picked up from '3'. I was able to get it to work under Kubuntu Linux 10.04 with usb_modeswitch version:
~$ usb_modeswitch -e

  • usb-modeswitch: handle USB devices with multiple modes
  • Version 1.1.0 (C) Josua Dietze 2010
  • Based on libusb 0.1.12

The latest trunk has the latest 1.1.4 I believe and I just compiled that. I use to have a T-Mobile USB dongle under the previous version of usb_modeswitch, and that worked fine. I updated to the new version because it had updated definitions for my dongle. However, the definitions have an error in them for my dongle, which I fixed in the file.

Also, there are some major differences between the versions. The previous version when you typed usb_modeswitch on the command line, it would want the file /etc/usb_modeswitch.setup, which is the same as /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf. I had both files and it worked. However, I have both files for the new version and it the output from the program says that it couldn't find the config file and asks you to use the the -c switch and the path to the config file. This means that when a dongle is inserted and usb_modeswitch is called, it is not executed correctly. I think this is why my previous T-Mobile dongle didn't work with the update either.

So, this could be a problem with usb_modeswitch ... HOWEVER ...

When the new modem did switch to the modem part, there was no /dev/ttyUSB0 device. Is this created by usb_modeswitch? thus, I cannot use my modem at all.

Please revert the new version or fix it. I have yet to test the previous version, but I will do so today.

I am using the net5501 on the x86 target.

Thanks.

Attachments (0)

Change History (5)

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by anonymous

Just install usb-modeswitch-data packages. Now usb-modeswitch is calling from hotplug subsubsystem, configs are in /usb/usb_modeswitch.d/VENDOR:PRODUCT, divied to separate files.

comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by anonymous

I have usb-modeswitch-data installed. ;) I traced that it is being called by hotplug, but 1.1.4 never switches my modem when I plug it in or if I run it manually. Here is the output from being run manually:

# usb_modeswitch -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf

Looking for target devices ...

No devices in tusb 1-1: usbfs: process 12662 (usb_modeswitch) did not claim interface 0 before use

arget mode or class found
Looking for default devices ...

Found devices in default mode or class (1)

Accessing device 002 on bus 001 ...
Using endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)
Using endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)
Inquiring device details; driver will be detached ...
Looking for active driver ...

No driver found. Either detached before or never attached

SCSI inquiry data (for identification)


Vendor String: HSPA

Model String: USB SCSI CD-ROM

Revision String: 2.31


USB description data (for identification)


Manufacturer: ZTE,Incorporated

Product: ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM

Serial No.: P673A3H3GD010000


Setting up communication with interface 0 ...
Using endpoint 0x01 for message sending ...
Trying to send message 1 to endpoint 0x01 ...

OK, message successfully sent

Reading the response to the message (CSW) ...

Response reading got error -110, can probably be ignored
Device is gone, skipping any further commands

Checking for mode switch (max. 20 times, once per second) ...

Original device is gone already, not checking
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
Searching for target devices ...
No new devices in target mode or class found

Mode switch has failed. Bye.

I tried v1.1.2 (the previous one in trunk), and it switches my modem and my devices are setup as /dev/ttyUSB{0|1|2}, so there is something wrong with version 1.1.4. :(

I use the same configuration with both versions. The same data package and the same config scripts. The difference is in that output. For some reason, the new version errors out on the response. The previous versions don't.

Cheers.

comment:3 Changed 7 years ago by jow

I think you should report that upstream

comment:4 Changed 7 years ago by Jon.Scruggs@…

That sounds like a good idea. I have done many tests and it just seems that v1.1.4 is buggy. I will let Upstream know about that, but you should know about it as well. :) I find it weird that versions 1.1.0 and 1.1.2 work perfectly for it when 1.1.4 was released with the new data that was designed for this dongle. I will postback with Upstream's response when I get it. :)

Thanks.

comment:5 Changed 4 years ago by jow

  • Milestone changed from Attitude Adjustment 12.09 to Barrier Breaker 14.07

Milestone Attitude Adjustment 12.09 deleted

Add Comment

Modify Ticket

Action
as new .
Author


E-mail address and user name can be saved in the Preferences.

 
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.