Modify

Opened 5 years ago

Last modified 4 years ago

#12386 new defect

OpenWrt hangs on no-wifi 1-ethernet-port AR7 router (Dlink DSL-500T) with cpmac driver going nuts since 2009

Reported by: v-fox Owned by: developers
Priority: high Milestone: Barrier Breaker 14.07
Component: kernel Version: Trunk
Keywords: Cc:

Description

can't use openwrt on my Dlink DSL-500T since past my ancient Kamikaze/8.09 build.
there was several fatal issues since 8.09 and to the trunk (from what i remember trying to make new working openwrt build over the years), but most persistent of them is cpmac issue: it's either completely broken and interface is not set up (i don't have access to console), or it thinks it has more than 1 port, spews errors and promptly hangs the system (at least that what i think what's going on).

the fact is: if i try AA or trunk, pre-built or mine, router start up, after 5-10 minutes of boot up it sloooowly gives telnet access (trying web gui is useless, it hangs immediately and completely). maybe i manage to punch command or two in 10 minutes, but in that time it stalls completely.
nothing strange in top or free outputs, but it stuck nonetheless, as if it were under heavy load.

one time i managed to get dmesg output from newer build. here's a suspicious part:

[    1.010000] Fixed MDIO Bus: probed
[    7.270000] INTERNAL PHY!!!
[    7.340000] cpmac-mii: probed
[    7.350000] cpmac: No PHY present, using fixed PHY
[    7.430000] cpmac: device eth0 (regs: 08612800, irq: 41, phy: fixed-0:01, mac: 00:15:e9:ab:6c:6e)
[    7.530000] cpmac: device eth1 (regs: 08610000, irq: 27, phy: cpmac-1:1f, mac: 00:15:e9:ab:6c:6e)
[    7.560000] Registered led device: status
[    7.570000] vlynq0: regs 0x08611800, irq 29, mem 0x04000000
[    8.500000] vlynq1: regs 0x08611c00, irq 33, mem 0x0c000000

and this is how it in the old one:

Fixed MDIO Bus: probed
cpmac-mii: probed
cpmac cpmac.1: no PHY present
cpmac: device eth0 (regs: 08610000, irq: 27, phy: , mac: 00:15:e9:ab:6c:6e)

i can't build Kamikaze anymore, since newer toolchains don't like the old code, AA and trunk are broken, original Dlink and RouterTech firmwares (based on old, 2.4kernel-times code) for some reason refuse to load after being flashed (they are picky like that). and this old build of mine is pretty ugly.
i can only try Backfire once more, but don't think it'll help.

i think it has something to do with bugs #3124, #9565, #10437 and changes, that make driver thinks it's a router with a switch by default.
(also see http://www.routertech.org/viewtopic.php?p=43864&#p43864)

please, assist.

Attachments (5)

dmesg_aa_20121028 (16.0 KB) - added by v-fox 5 years ago.
dmesg from recent AA build
dmesg_km_20121028 (5.5 KB) - added by v-fox 5 years ago.
dmesg from old K build
973-cpmac_fixup-for-a-non-switch.patch (1.2 KB) - added by v-fox <virtuousfox@…> 5 years ago.
patch for AA and trunk to revert to proper, K-like behaviour in cpmac's port detection
dmesg_aa-patched_20121030 (10.8 KB) - added by v-fox <virtuousfox@…> 5 years ago.
dmesg from recent AA build with patched cpmac
dmesg_bf-patched_20121030 (6.1 KB) - added by v-fox <virtuousfox@…> 5 years ago.
dmesg from recent BF build with patched cpmac

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (7)

Changed 5 years ago by v-fox

dmesg from recent AA build

Changed 5 years ago by v-fox

dmesg from old K build

Changed 5 years ago by v-fox <virtuousfox@…>

patch for AA and trunk to revert to proper, K-like behaviour in cpmac's port detection

Changed 5 years ago by v-fox <virtuousfox@…>

dmesg from recent AA build with patched cpmac

Changed 5 years ago by v-fox <virtuousfox@…>

dmesg from recent BF build with patched cpmac

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by v-fox <virtuousfox@…>

i hacked around simple patch to remove bogus port in non-switch device like DSL-500T for AA and made similar changes to my BF build. unfortunately AA still hangs and it took me about an hour to just get a log from it.
BF was usable thought, but not as responsive as old K. i tried them all with and without Web-GUI built-in, for AA i even tried bare minimum built - no difference:
K is responsive and usable, but _rarely hangs_
BF is unresponsive, but most of the time usable (still hangs once in a while),
AA is unresponsive and totally unusable, but loads up at least.

it too inconsistent for a hardware issue, but i have no suppositions anymore about what could be wrong in either software or hardware, since with the patch networking seems correct (aside from ADSL[sangam-atm] sometimes not resyncing automatically, needing replug of telephone wire, and those weird 'vlynq' thingies registering as additional "ports" too).

comment:2 Changed 4 years ago by jow

  • Milestone changed from Attitude Adjustment 12.09 to Barrier Breaker 14.07

Milestone Attitude Adjustment 12.09 deleted

Add Comment

Modify Ticket

Action
as new .
Author


E-mail address and user name can be saved in the Preferences.

 
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.